The mission of the Vancouver Prostate Centre is to foster the paradigm of team-driven translational health research to discover molecular mechanisms of cancer progression and therapeutic resistance, and to use this information to develop new services and products that reduce suffering, improve survival for patients with cancer and promote regional growth of biotechnology.
- Provide the very best treatment for men with prostate disease.
- Act as a focus for prostate research and state of the art treatment activities throughout the Province of British Columbia.
- Provide a national and international focus for research into prostate disease, which will enhance the understanding of many aspects of its biology.
- Apply this knowledge in a practical way, leading to the development of new and better diagnostic tools and treatment methods.
- Unify, in a virtual sense, the prostate research and treatment programs in British Columbia.
- Provide a state-of-the-art facility for education of scientists and health care professionals at the undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate levels.
- Attract the best investigators, clinicians, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows from Canada and around the globe who will acquire and disseminate new knowledge in the field of prostate disease.
- Facilitate the translational aspect of research by the geographic proximity of clinical and basic science laboratory space.
- Develop and disseminate educational materials and processes for the general public.
- Promote regional growth of biotechnology.