Critical funding from our research partners and donors has helped us to attract and retain the very best research talent from around the world, which in turn, increases our ability to move discoveries further along into clinical research and eventually treatments.
It’s Movember and there is no better time to pursue a career path that helps reduce the number of men dying prematurely due to prostate cancer. Come join our team and help support the scientists, researchers, surgeons and students that are dedicating themselves to finding a cure. We have a unique, interesting opportunity with loads of variety. Come join our team as a regular, full-time Operations Assistant.
Who we are
Vancouver Prostate Centre has a large, multi-disciplinary research program that undertakes basic, clinic, and translational research. It is a National Centre of Excellence and a designated Centre of Excellence for Commercialization and Research. It is affiliated with the University of British Columbia and the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.
What the support team does
The support team provides structural support to allow the scientific team to focus on the “science”. This includes human resources, purchasing, finance and general administration.
Reporting to the Administrative Manager and working within a complex and evolving environment, role is responsible for:
- Creation and timely/accurate distribution of team communications such as VPC Announcements.
- Efficient and effective assistance with administration of high profile weekly scientific seminars attended by all members of scientific team. Scope of duties includes, yet not limited to, assisting faculty contact with distribution of speaker schedule, booking rooms, guest speaker arrangements (travel/hotel, thank you gift & card, onsite guest speaker support as required). Creation and distribution of weekly seminar notices, reminders.
- Comprehensive general meeting support: scheduling, room booking/access/equipment/videoconferencing set-up, catering, agendas, meeting minutes.
- Coordination of all special events including annual Christmas party, farewell functions.
- Prime point of contact for local courier shipments, office supplies, drinking water contracts, photocopier service and supplies.
- Maintains current floor plans.
- Assists with facilities maintenance requests as necessary.
- Opens and distributes mail daily.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Serve as payroll back-up.
- Serve as recruitment back-up.
- Serve as new hire orientation back-up.
- Provide basic emergency coverage as required.
- Minimum High School Diploma. Bachelor’s degree or diploma in related field preferred.
- Minimum two years relevant experience, ideally in a scientific/research or related environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain required certifications mandatory.
- Possess/able to obtain Transportation of Dangerous Goods Certification within first six months.
- Capable of performing physical demands of role including lifting items up to 50lbs.
- Demonstrated ability to abide by all relevant legislation/policies and handle confidential/sensitive information with necessary tact and discretion.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative and follow-up skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, adapt to shifting priorities, work well under pressure and represent the Vancouver Prostate Centre in a professional manner.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Computer literate with proficiency using suite of Microsoft Office software.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in a variety of context: in person, on the phone, on-line, plus solid written communication skills in order to produce legible, concise and accurate business correspondence.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and effectively as part of a team.
Salary range for this position is $43,892 to $57,608 per annum – initial placement will be at $43,892 per annum. We are one of the few employers still providing a defined benefit pension plan, we provide 20 vacation days per year to start and a competitive benefits plan.
To join our team, please email careersprostatecentre [dot] com with subject line Operations Assistant with cover letter and resume attached.
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found. Ideal start date would be January 6, 2020 and interviews will commence week of December 2, 2019.
Note: We thank all applicants for their interest. However, due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.