Critical funding from our research partners and donors has helped us to attract and retain the very best research talent from around the world, which in turn, increases our ability to move discoveries further along into clinical research and eventually treatments.
Positions currently available:
- Administrative Assistant, Prostate Cancer Supportive Care Program (temporary, full time, closes March 22)
Administrative Assistant, Prostate Cancer Supportive Care Program
Updated Post - March 7, 2019
The Vancouver Prostate Centre (VPC) has an exciting career opportunity for a temporary, full-time Administrative Assistant.
The Vancouver Prostate Centre
VPC has a large, multi-disciplinary research program that undertakes basic, clinic, and translational research. It is a National Centre of Excellence and a designated Centre of Excellence for Commercialization and Research. It is affiliated with the University of British Columbia and the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority.
The Prostate Cancer Supportive Care (PCSC) Program
The VPC launched the Prostate Cancer Supportive Care (PCSC) Program in January 2013, a comprehensive survivorship program for prostate cancer patients, their partners and family from diagnosis onwards.
The Administrative Assistant provides Medical Office Assistant (MOA) duties to prostate cancer patients in the PCSC Program and a broad scope of administrative support to the PCSC Program multidisciplinary team.
- Provides reception duties and triages inquiries effectively (via phone, e-mail and in person).
- Coordinates patient appointments (clinic, information session or workshop) including scheduling, confirming, follow-up, and rescheduling.
- Provides patients with any questionnaires or other forms to complete before and after their appointment.
- Assists with the coordination of required patient tests, prescription refills, lab requisitions, insurance forms and letters.
- Ensures patient charts are up-to-date and prepared prior to clinic appointments – including compiling relevant medical information from the EMR and forms for clinician use.
- Ensures clinic rooms are booked and stocked with necessary supplies in advance of clinic, and order more if needed.
- Performs data entry, word processing, transcription, photocopying, and filing of clinical/administrative correspondence.
- Coordinates room bookings for all education sessions and staff meetings.
- Enters information into the clinic electronic medical record (EMR) system and/or the program’s database (SPIRIT).
- Assists with maintaining and improving clinic processes; including creating electronic templates in EMR and scanning documents into the EMR.
- Provides support to healthcare professionals presenting information sessions by helping with the setup, conduct and closedown of each session.
- Attends and takes minutes at meetings, and communicates with the team to keep them informed of tasks underway or completed.
- Orders clinical and office supplies when needed.
- Handles room/teleconference/video conference bookings and maintaining records of bookings made.
- Handles interpreter requests for patient appointments.
- Handles catering requests.
- Handles mail distribution (incoming and outgoing).
- Supports the program’s research team with a broad range of activities as needed such as data entry for REB-approved chart review studies.
- Assist the University Urology Associates, Vancouver Prostate Centre and the UBC Department of Urologic Sciences teams as and when needed.
Decision Making/Level of Accountability/Extent of Authority
Critical. Must be able to assess situations/issues that arise and make effective decisions quickly and independently while also recognizing when it is appropriate to escalate issues to attention of Program Manager or healthcare professionals.
Reports to the Program Manager. It is expected that the incumbent is capable of managing their tasks independently, under the guidance of the Program Manager and the PCSC team.
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized university.
- Knowledge of general office procedures, knowledge of medical terminology is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines, perform work in an organized and efficient manner.
- Demonstrated expertise with a broad scope of administrative tasks including filing, photocopying, ordering office supplies, reception duties and scheduling appointments.
- Solid communication skills, both written and verbal. Capable of handling difficult situations effectively and interacting with broad scope of contacts.
- Ability to take and transcribe minutes, or other dictated materials. Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality, tact and discretion when interacting with patients.
- Expertise using Microsoft Office software.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
- High ability to multi-task multiple projects.
- Ability to work outside of regular hours when needed.
To join our team, please email careersprostatecentre [dot] com with subject line Administrative Assistant, PCSC with the following items attached:
- Covering letter
Closing Date: March 22, 2019.
Note: We thank all applicants for their interest. However, due to the high volume of applications received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
If you had submitted an application during the previous recruitment campaign, please do not re-apply.